Thursday, January 06, 2005

Dubya, Arnold and Now That's Cold

"I wish you'd have given me this written question ahead of time so I could plan for it...I'm sure something will pop into my head here in the midst of this press conference, with all the pressure of trying to come up with answer, but it hadn't yet...I don't want to sound like I have made no mistakes. I'm confident I have. I just haven't – you just put me under the spot here, and maybe I'm not as quick on my feet as I should be in coming up with one." -President Bush, after being asked in a news conference to name the biggest mistake he had made.

Let me just suggest to ol' Dubya that maybe, just maybe Iraq was a FUCKING MISTAKE!

This from the Washington Post this morning, explains the virtual devastation of the Army Reserves by the poor planning and stupidity with which Dubya and Don went to "war" with the SPC (small penis complex) hubris-encased jingoism, "Bring 'em on!"

AlterNet provided an excellent piece on the immense debacle Iraq has become, which reads, in part:

"The war is wrong, and most Americans know it. Unlike terrorism or the culture wars, Iraq is the one issue where progressives have successfully put the Bush administration on the defensive. The progressive voices have been powerful and compelling, standing steadfastly for compassion in the face of violence, whether speaking out on behalf of under-equipped soldiers or malnourished Iraqi children. Iraq may not have been enough reason for the American public to punish the Republicans in 2004, but all of Karl Rove's machinations are not going to make this political time bomb go away. A Washington Post poll conducted in December marked the first time when a decisive majority – 56 percent – of Americans have come to the conclusion that war is simply "not worth fighting." More importantly, a full 70 percent now believe that any gains to U.S. security from Saddam Hussein's departure have come at an "unacceptable" cost in military casualties. The survey also identifies a dangerous trend for the administration: support for the occupation is steadily shrinking to die-hard Republicans, while self-identified independents are becoming as skeptical as Democrats about the current Iraq policy."

And, what about Dubya's dream of democracy for Iraq? Well, this from AlterNet pretty much explains that democracy in Iraq just ain't on the horizon, ya'll. It reads, in part:

"The Americans have set this up in such a way that a lot is at stake after this election,'' says Juan Cole, a professor of Middle Eastern history at the University of Michigan. "If the Sunnis are grossly underrepresented in this constitutional constituent assembly, it will be set up for a guerrilla war that lasts for decades."

And, from the New York Times comes the ultimate fantasy: "Because Mr. Bush insists that Iraqis are now fully in control of their own country, White House officials say, the president has to move cautiously so as to not appear to be interfering in Iraq's internal politics."

This from California's Governor: "All of a sudden, we see riots, we see protests, we see people clashing. The next thing we know, there is injured or there is dead people. We don't want to get to that extent." -California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, on the dangers posed by gay marriage.

Oh, my.

Finally, it was reported that parts of Minnestoa experienced -43 degrees this morning. Now that is more than snot-freezing cold; that is colder than my stare at my dipshit neighbor whose tree fell on my beloved Lincoln, causing $7,500 damage. After five months the car is still in the shop because, now, after the body work was finished, the battery won't hold a charge.

I know, small stuff compared to the state of this old world. But, nevertheless, frustrating.

Peace.

No comments: