Saturday, May 07, 2005

A Couple Things - Stuff and Nonsense

BIG LIES AT DIA

If you're ever entering the outer perimeter of Denver International Airport and all of the electronic reader boards tell you that the indoor parking lots are FULL and that the close-in, short term parking lot is FULL and, you figure you'll proceed toward the terminal anyway because there might, just might be a space with your name written on it in the indoor lot or the close-in short term lot in spite of the bright red warnings, my advice is to go for it.

Last Tuesday I headed to DIA to pickup David upon his return from the Yakima Valley of Washington state, where he had visited his family for five days. And, no, we never just do the passenger pickup thing. We always park and walk to the terminal and meet one another at the baggage carousel. It's more ... intimate; more caring, I think. (Maybe that's part of the reason why we've been together for twenty-three years.)

Well, anyway... I decided to take my chances on the close-in, short term lot (they had even blocked off the ticket spitters to the indoor garages with orange cones). When I got to the ticket spitter, an attendant -- an Indian (India) who, surprisingly, spoke quite broken English -- advised that everything was FULL and that my only option was drive out of the short term lot, get back on the access road and drive a mile to the outlying parking lot where I would be shuttled back to the terminal in a bus. I said, okay, pressed the ticket spitter button, took my ticket and drove into the short-term parking area and, almost immediately, found a parking space.

As I walked to the terminal, through the short-term parking area I counted seventeen empty spaces. As I walked through the first floor of the indoor parking garage (there are six levels of the parking garage) I counted twenty-four empty spaces.

Lies. Lies. Lies. More likely, DIA's Parking Management folks probably weren't monitoring their lots as they should have been.

Monkey See, Monkey Do

Dunner and the Rude Pundit have posted on this issue (most likely several hundred thousand others have, as well) which involves, once again, the polemic surrounding the Theory of Evolution and Creationism.


This time the polemic has popped-up in Kansas. Ever been to Kansas? I don't know why anyone would want to live on that flat-ass, tornado alley, godforsaken, hell-hot, red-neck, backward moving, decidedly RED state. Five or six towns in Kansas are even offering people free lots of land if they'll promise to build a home on the lot and live there a while. Now how desperate is that?

This issue arose in another context a few months ago when several IMAX theaters pulled presentations that postulated on the earth's origin as Big Bang or other non-Biblical theories. My post at that time included some dialogue from the wonderful play, Inherit The Wind, which is a representation of the original Scopes Monkey Trial which occurred in 1925 in Tennessee. Part of that dialogue reads: (Brady=William Jennings Bryant; Drummond=Clarence Darrow)

BRADY: There are many portions of the Holy Bible that I have committed to memory.

DRUMMOND: I don't suppose you've memorized many passages from the Origin of Species?

BRADY: I am not in the least interested in the pagan hypotheses of that book.

DRUMMOND: Never read it?

BRADY: And I never will.

DRUMMOND: Then how in perdition do you have the gall to whoop up this holy war against something you don't know anything about?
How can you be so cocksure that the body of scientific knowledge systemized in the writings of Charles Darwin is, in any way, irreconcilable with the Book of Genesis?

And, I guess that's pretty much where I'm at on this issue. What's the fuss about? Oh, I know. It's the Culture War, isn't it. Godless vs. Godly. Yup. And what better place to play it out, once again, than Topeka, Kansas.

I do get weary of this crap.

No comments: