Monday, November 07, 2005

O Holy Cow!

Ain't religion wonderful! The following came from this morning's Rocky Mountain News. (I don't eat red meat. Not because of any religious mandate against the practice but, simply because--I guess I must admit--I like cows. Period.) I guess the following story didn't really surprise me. Looking around the world, including here in our own great country, the only thing that comes to mind is, ain't religion wonderful!

Village attacked after rumors of cow killings

LUCKNOW -- A Hindu mob attacked a Muslim village in northern India, torching homes and killing three people after hearing rumors that cows, considered holy by Hindus, were slaughtered for Islamic celebrations, police said Sunday.

Hindus from neighboring areas attacked Mehndipur village in the northern Uttar Pradesh state on Saturday night and set fire to dozens of houses after being told villagers had killed the cows for a feast to mark Eid-al-Kitr, the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, the day before, said S.B. Shirodkar, a local police chief.

He said a police investigation revealed that no cow had been slaughtered in the village.

No comments: