Wednesday, June 23, 2004

West Nile Blues

On May 28th, I sent the following email to the City Councilman (Rick Garcia) who represents the district in which I live:
Can you tell me or direct me to where the information resides with regard to what the city is doing to combat mosquito infestation of Berkeley and Rocky Mountain Park lakes? What is the city doing in general to combat West Nile?

On June the 7th, I emailed a few comments to a Denver Post reporter on a story he had done and included the following:
I run at trails around Berkeley Lake or Rocky Mountain Lake in Northwest Denver pretty much every day. I run at about 6:30 every morning which, you may be aware, is a time when mosquitoes are more active than at other times. I am naturally concerned about West Nile. So, I thought I would get some information from my Councilman, Rick Garcia, about what the city is doing to combat West Nile. So, I emailed the following to Mr. Garcia on May 28th: "Can you tell me or direct me to where the information resides with regard to what the city is doing to combat mosquito infestation of Berkeley and Rocky Mountain Park lakes? What is the city doing in general to combat West Nile?
Thank you."

To date, there has been no response or even an acknowledgment that my inquiry has been received.

Well, sure, it's only been about nine days since I asked the question. But, I wonder, Jim, if it had been an inquiry from a reporter at the Post if an answer would not have been forthcoming probably on the same day the email was transmitted?

I did search the city's web site for an answer to my question and finally found a press release from the Department of Environmental Health which did answer my question ... sort of.

So much for representative government.

On the same day I sent the comments to the Post reporter, I, coincidentally, received the following from Councilman Garcia's office:
We are following up to see if Parks and Rec responded to you on this issue as it was forwarded on?

There will be an article in the North Denver Tribune about the bat houses that were installed on several of the trees on the S side of Sloan's Lake as a project of a class from Brown Elementary partnering with the Zoo and wilderness parks and Rec. This was the classroom's proactive response to the mosquito dilemma.

I will send you the response from Roger from another inquiry by separate e mail.

Thank you for you interest and please let us know if they do not get back.

We also have a pamphlet on west Nile Virus I could mail to you but do not have you in out data base.


My response:
Thank you. I did see the article in the Tribune and I did finally locate a press release on the city's web site that was issued by the Department of Environmental Health with regard to the city's activities re: West Nile.


The Councilman's Office response:
Good research. I did copy Parks and Rec because they were to respond to you from your forwarded messaged from Rita in our office.

Well, I've never heard from Parks and Recreation; I've never received the "...response from Roger..." by separate email, and AND the only affirmative, proactive steps the City is apparently taking to protect its citizens from West Nile is to attach three "bat houses" to trees on the southern side of Sloan's Lake, which, incidentally, was an elementary school's class project -- not the City's idea. The North Denver Tribune carried the story with a photo showing the elementary school kids and Councilman Garcia smiling in the background.

Of course, three small "bat houses" on the southern side of Sloan's Lake does nothing to combat mosquito infestation of Berkeley and Rocky Mountain Lakes. (Probably doesn't do much for Sloan's lake either.) I mean, three small "bat houses" is the grand plan for the City?

The information from the Department of Environmental Health is certainly helpful. But, damn, is that it? Isn't the City going to spray or something? Just something?

I use so much DEET every morning that I can feel my genes doing flip flops. I'm probably turning into a bat. At least I'll have a little house to live in overlooking the southern shore of Sloan's Lake.



No comments: