Monday, December 13, 2004

A Writer's Faith

This from Alternet is wondeful. It is a piece about sisters whose lives diverged at adolescence, with one eventually becoming "born again," a religious place where all questions are answered ... where the world is so black and white; and the other sister, well -- like most of us who believe there's a little room for gray in the world --is just still trying to figure things out. I do believe those of us who write -- even if it's just a daily blog post -- will connect to these good words which read, in part:

"I have a strong hunch that everyone in an early stage of belief might feel this combination of anxiety and relief – no matter what kind of belief it is. I also suspect that it always gets more complex, and that is always leads inward. I suspect as much because I've witnessed it in myself. For all I contend about the differences between Mara's life and my own, I also know that writing has been for me a kind of spiritual path. It is an ever-evolving set of choices that brings me closer to people while allowing me the personal space and the independent integrity that I need."

No comments: